Have you been told that you have estrogen dominance or self-diagnosed yourself with it? Are you tired of managing the symptoms from month to month, or with transitioning through menopause…. symptoms such as:
- heavy bleeding with cycles (sometimes clotting)
- short amounts of time in between cycles
- painful periods, and/or painful ovulation
- mood swings, including depression and anxiety, often associated with timing of cycles
- weight changes, more often around the hips, buttocks, and thighs
- abdominal bloating, especially pre and during menses
- hot flashes/ flushing
- painful joints and muscles, sometimes cycle related, sometimes not
- brain fog, often associated with timing of cycles
- extreme fatigue around the timing of the cycle
Are you looking for a long-term solution to the symptoms that you or a family member, such as your daughter are suffering from? Have you been told that the only way to manage your symptoms is with either the birth control pill, or bio-identical hormone therapy, or over the counter and/or prescription pain medication?
Regardless of how you discovered that you have estrogen dominance ( possibly lab testing, but possibly just based on symptoms), you need to know what it means to your overall health and wellness, both now, and in the future, and how to correct for it, as the long term consequences of this condition, if left unmanaged, can affect your health in very serious ways.
If estrogen dominance is left untreated, it can cause not only the symptoms mentioned at the top of the page, but can lead to conditions such as:
- osteoporosis, hashimoto’s thyroiditis or other auto-immune related conditions
- heart issues, especially post-menopause
- inflammatory type conditions such as osteoarthritis, endometriosis, adenomyosis (there are more)
- fibrocystic breasts
- cancer (breast and uterine and cervical are the most common, in females with estrogen dominance)
In females, estrogen is produced in the body, primarily by the ovaries, and is metabolized (broken down and utilized), down different pathways. If you have estrogen dominance, your body often has either too much estrogen, or breakdown of estrogen down non-optimal pathways. Too much estrogen often comes from a combination of both production levels inside the body (the ovaries primarily), as well as external factors such as environment and lifestyle choices, that are raising estrogen levels in the body. Lifestyle factors can include:
- high levels of chronic stress, this may include poor relationships/ emotional trauma
- a diet too high in sugars, processed foods, and conventional (non-organic, non-grass fed) dairy and meats that contain high amounts of estrogen in them
- excess caffeine consumption
- lack of exercise, or the correct type and amount of exercise
- a high toxic burden, due to environmental toxins that contain estrogens (plastics, make-up, personal care products, cleaning products, etc.)
Poor breakdown of estrogen in the body is often determined by genetics, combined with lifestyle factors. It is very important to determine which pathway your body prefers to metabolize estrogen down, as this is often the key to rebalancing the estrogens in the body and resolving symptoms. This can be determined by a combination of looking at your genetics (low penetrance genetic testing), as well as a urine test (called the DUTCH test), that specifically looks at which pathway your estrogens prefer to be broken down upon. There are different management strategies needed, depending on which pathway(s) needs the most correcting.
Most typically, this DOES NOT include, hormonally based treatment strategies, but looks at all of the systems and pathways in the body that need rebalancing, to optimize estrogen metabolism. This is absolutely essential, and looks deep into the root cause, as to why you have the estrogen dominance in the first place. This will assist with rebalancing not only estrogen, but several other systems in the body. This can reverse several symptoms, quickly and prevent many diseases from ever developing, if this condition is managed, as soon as possible.
If you think you have any of the symptoms of estrogen dominance or may have already been diagnosed with a condition or disease related to this and are looking to improve your health over the long term, please feel free to contact me. Also, if you are a mother, and have these symptoms, and are concerned that your daughter may be developing signs, at an early age, please do not hesitate to look into discovering how to help manage and treat this condition! It can prevent so many potential diseases, and other health issues in the future! I am happy to talk with you about how to optimize your estrogen balance, or any other health issue that has been hindering your quality of life. The only way to get the answers for a long-term solution, is with a customized plan, that is individualized to your own body, and is based around the true root cause of why the condition ever developed in the first place. I look forward to hearing from you! Please click on the link at the bottom of the page for a FREE 45 minute consult as to how you can optimize your health, through working with me.